Make a Complaint


If you believe that a councillor has failed to comply with the Code of Conduct you can complain to this office.

You must make your complaint to us in writing. You do not need to have complained first to the councillor or to his/her council.

Not all complaints that are made to us will be investigated. We require a certain amount of information in order to decide whether to investigate your complaint. To ensure that we have all relevant information, you should submit your complaint using our complaint form.

Complaints can only be considered if the Declaration at Part 6 of the complaint form has been signed and dated.

Download a copy of the complaint form and make sure that you sign and post the completed form to us at the address shown on the form.

You can also have a complaint form posted to you by telephoning 028 9023 3821, or 0800 343424 (Freephone).

It is important that you read our guidance notes before completing the complaint form. These will also be sent to you with the complaint form.